Mobberley Methodist Church - Welcome
One of the most wonderful projects to happen in our Church
Mobberley Methodist Church is a Church steeped in history. It was built in 1882 and has retained most of its original features.
The Church is in need of modernisation to provide a modern Church, multi-use facilities and a community café. The project which is due to complete in 2025 is called Vision 25.
Read on to find out more details of this ambitious project and how you can get involved
There has been a Methodist presence in the area since 1783 when the Wesleyan Methodists built a Chapel at Knolls Green.
The chapel appears to have declined and became vacant until 1803 when it was taken up by Independents whose services were led by students of the Reverend Robert Roby from Manchester Academy.
In 1902 two adjoining cottages were purchased and Mr Falkner Armitage, (an architect from Altrincham) oversaw their conversion into a Sunday School in memory of James Wood, a Wilmslow Deacon who was known for his pastoral work in the area.
The chapel closed in 1961. In the period before 1836 Methodists met in private houses but following a revival in Methodism, a chapel was built nearly opposite the entrance to what was the New Hall (now Sunrise and Barclay Hall) on Hall Lane on land given by James Ashton, a slater.
The location was in front of the house now called White Lodge, (previously Seven Lights and Flaxedil). James Ashton, when he sold the houses adjoining the chapel on all sides inserted clauses in the deeds that obliged the owners to find land for a new chapel if the trustees decided to relocate.
The chapel had become unsafe, was hemmed in on all sides and the congregation was split as to whether to rebuild in Hall Lane or relocate to Faulkner’s Lane (previously known as Antrobus Hall Lane).
The land in Hall lane was offered by W J Harter along with £150 and materials from the old chapel. Mr. Oliver of Bollington who had purchased a property next to the chapel and resold it to the Squire of the Old Hall also offered £150.
Those of the congregation who had not been in favour of Faulkner’s Lane and wanted to stay in Hall Lane started to meet at the Mission Room at Hall Bank.
On 3rd March 1882 the first stone was laid and on 9th August in the same year the new chapel in Faulkner’s Lane was opened. It was built by Isaac Massey of Alderley Edge and the architect was Mr. Willis of Derby.
The Church congregation is growing. Less than two years ago this little Church had a worshipping congregation of just 12 people but with a lot of prayer and determination we embarked on a path to grow.
Our vision was for our Church to be at the heart of this community and to open its doors for groups to meet, thus growing the Church and its family.
Today we have 60 members and many of our dreams are now becoming a reality. In normal times we have a dynamic modern family service at 9:15am with a Sunday school and contemporary worship and a more traditional hymn service at 10.45am.
We already have some incredible ministries including Shell group for children, Crew youth ministries, Amazing Women and a Joshua Men’s breakfast.
Our Church is a real family and we welcome others to join us in achieving this vision.
We are actively planning a project that, if successful, will redevelop our worship space into a Community centre and Community café so that it can really be at the heart of our village.
Frontline workers Family Fun Day a great success!
Mobberley Methodist Church hosted the first of its kind, 999 and keyworkers Thank You Event. The event was organised in conjunction with representatives from the former Mobberley Neighbourhood Watch, Cheshire Constabulary and Vision 25. Revellers from Knutsford, Mobberley and surrounding areas braved the drizzle to show their gratitude to frontline workers.
In attendance were Vision 25, Knutsford First Responders, Cheshire Police Rural Crime Team, Cheshire Police Local Policing Team, Great Manchester Police Dog Legislation Officer, RNLI, Samaritans, Knutsford Fire station, Cheshire Police Drone Team, Christians Against Poverty, The Christie, Macclesfield, East Cheshire Hospice and Agricultural Chaplaincy.
Music was supplied by Canalside Radio
There was entertainment for children who made Bird Feeders, had their Faces Painted and enjoyed the Sweet Shop and Pocket Money Toys Stalls. Food and refreshments were provided by Mobberley Cakes Limited, Mobberley Ice Cream, Heddy’s Hot Food and Tatton Perk. Visitors were impressed by Wagtail Security search dogs, who showed how their dogs can find items through scent, Cheshire Fire & Rescue Service who demonstrated how they free accident victims from and visitors also learnt how to perform CPR.
The day was well attended with over 500 visitors and many notable VIPs such as Rev Scott Manning, Station Manager Aaron Collis Cheshire Fire & Rescue Service, Deputy Police & Crime Commissioner David McNeilage, David Briggs, CVO, MBE, KStJ Lord-Lieutenant of Cheshire, Robert Mee DL High Sheriff of Cheshire, Cllr Stewart Gardiner Knutsford Lord Mayor and Cllr Charlotte Leach Cheshire East.
Mobberley Methodist Church (MMC) has ambitious plans to redevelop the Church. The project called ‘Vision 25’ is a million pound project which we aim to complete by 2025. With the easing of lockdown, Vision 25 took the opportunity to run our first fundraising event a car wash and bake sale.
We were overwhelmed by the support from the local community and raised just short of £700. Tatton MP Esther McVey and Local Councillor Charlotte Leach offered their support and even rolled up their sleeves to assist in the car washing. The renovation of the Church will include a community café.
Funding the redevelopment of the Church will come from multiple sources with around 1/3 coming from fundraising we are looking for volunteers, if you want to get involved simply email firstname.lastname@example.org.